ATHENS SANDLOT ANNUAL OPENING DAY PARADE!
April 6, 2019 Starts at 10:00 a.m. 9:00 am line up
Welcome to the Athens Sandlot Parade! The parade helps us kick off the season along with our opening day ceremonies and first games of the season!
This is a fun, voluntary event! Participation is at your own risk. Drive slowly and watch for children. Parade Manager should have on a safety traffic vest or florescent jacket on.
Vehicles dropping off players will leave Morris Avenue by turning on to Cornwell Street which exits to Stimson Ave.
Access Morris Ave from Stimson Ave via Campbell Street or Grant Street (Across from Sonic). Exit from Morris Ave will be turning onto Cornwell Street which will exit to Stimson Ave.
- 9:00-9:30 am - Floats arrive. The sooner floats arrive the better. Upon arrival, please pull up to the vehcile in front of you. Do NOT leave a gap for other teams (or age groups) to fill in. If not driving in parade please do NOT park your vehicle on float side of the street.
- 9:00-10:00 am - Players arrive. Drive slow. Watch for kids.
- 10:15 am - Floats pull into middle of Morris Ave and pull up closing gaps between vehicles (or you may be left behind). (Siren may sound)
- 10:30 am - Parade begins down Morris (Next Siren or Horn usually starts parade)
- Dropping off and all other vehicles will leave Morris Ave by turning onto Cornwell Street which leads to Stimson Avenue.
- If staying, park on Ohio Avenue off of Wallace Ave so the parade line can remain together.
- Parade float vehicles only allowed to park on Morris Ave. No other parking allowed. Use side street for your presonal vehicle or youi are going to jam up the street unncessarily and make this harder to pull off than it should be.
DROP OFF & PARADE LINE UP
- There are no assigned team spots. Parade lines up on Morris Ave facing E. State Street in the order which you arrive.
- SOFTBALL teams start line up on WALLACE AVE starting at stop sign facing MORRIS AVE
- BASEBALL teams line up starts on MORRIS AVENUE facing E. STATE STREET after Jagers funeral home driveway.
- JR. HIGH, 12U, 10u and 8u Baseball teams start line at JAGERS FUNERAL HOME DRIVEWAY (don't block driveway)
- SOFTBALL - All ages start line on Wallace Avenue starting at Stop Sign and facing Morris Ave. You will blend in the line with baseball when we start.
- Vehicles dropping off players will leave Morris Ave by turning onto Cornwell St which exits to Stimson Ave (by Sonic).
- Vehicles not in parade shall not park in parade line on Morris Ave.
- Floats are asked to have their team and sponsor represented with a poster or sign on the vehicle.
- Candy can be handed out by people walking (cannot be thrown from vehicles)
- Floats must have at least one adult with children on float or in bed of truck
- If you are in front of a driveway, do not leave your vehicle unattended (in case a resident has to leave)
- Players must remain seated in vehicles during the parade until reaching your destination
- TURN ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS AND EMERGENCY FLASHERS SO OTHER TRAFFIC KNOWS YOU ARE IN A PARADE
- When lining up, floats pull up behind closest parked float regardless of age group
- At 9:45 (siren/horn may sound) pull your float out into road and up to parade vehicle in front of you. Close all gaps.
- All vehicles should also be pulled up to Jagers Funeral Home as close as they can.
- At 10:00 am parade starts (or when police officer begins to go)
- Proceed slowly on parade route
- DO NOT leave a big gap between you and the next parade vehicle when we start - traffic should not pass through the parade line on E. State Street but if you leave a gap they will cut you off. If in the parade we do not stop for any red lights on the parade route.
- Parade officially ends at W. Union and Congress and normal traffic pattern resumes.
- Parade leaves Morris Ave
- Turn left on E. State Street
- Turn right on Carpenter Street
- Turn left on Court Street
- Turn right onto W. Union Parade (officially ends at W. Union and N. Congress)
- If you decide to go onto the fields proceed slowly and at your own risk
- Drive carefully - Watch for children looking for their team
- Floats turn on headlights and flashers when parade starts
- Players stay in vehicles once the parades start
- At least one adult must be with players on float
- DO NOT throw candy from vehicles
- Handing out candy when walking is permitted
OPENING DAY CEREMONIES
- Will be held after Parade at the ATHENS SANDLOT FIELDS - WEST END PARK - AROUND 10:30 after all teams arrive. There is no set time to start. We start when everyone is ready.
- Non-Athens County teams and Jr. High Teams. We announce the players/coaches/sponsor at the opening day ceremonies. Out of county teams need to turn in their rosters and team sponsor if they want them announced. OPENING DAY ROSTER FOR ANNOUNCMENTS
- Opening Day Announcement Roster is no longer needed for 7-12u Athens Sandlot teams. They are needed for Athens Jr. High Teams, Non-Sandlot Out of County Teams if being announced and Jr. High Teams.
- For Opening Day Ceremonies we introduce the players from each team, the coaches, manager and any sponsor that may be attending. Please use the above form for all players names, coaches and any sponsor and submit it to the at opening day ceremonies if you are not an Athens Sandlot team.
- This is a fun VOLUNTARY event
- Players and others participate at their own risk
- Athens Sandlot reserves the right to remove anyone for any reason
Contact George McCarthy @ 590-6622
ENJOY THE PARADE!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE TEAMS THIS SEASON!